Knysna General Info
Knysna is a vibrant town in the heart of the Gardenroute and Gardenroute Nationalpark situated at the banks of the Knysna Lagoon and 18 square kilometer estuary between the Indian Ocean and the Outeniqua Mountains.
Due to this ideal location it ranks within the top 100 holiday destinations and one of the most beautiful coastal towns in the world. It has its own Waterfront with Marina and Yacht Club and many nice restaurants and shops.
The area offers beautiful unspoiled surroundings, wild pristine sand beaches, world class golf courses, hiking trails in the indigenous forest, coastal trails, nature reserves, mountain biking, water sports, boat trips, canoe tours, wildlife parks and much more.
Get inspired by this impressive 6 minute film of the Africa Travel Channel about Knysna and the surrounding area.
Data and Facts about Knysna
The Mediterranean climate makes Knysna an ideal holiday destination throughout the year.
The temperatures during the days are about:
- Summer (December till February) ca. 28 - 32 Grad Celsius day time temperature
- Winter (June till August) ca. 15 - 18 Grad Celsius day time temperature
Getting to Knysna
George - 65 km; domestic airport, daily scheduled and non-scheduled flights
Port Elisabeth - 280 km; domestic airport, daily scheduled and non-scheduled flights
Cape Town - 500 km; international and domestic airport, daily scheduled and non-scheduled flights
Plettenberg Bay - 35 km; domestic airport, daily non-scheduled
Knysna is on the N2 between Cape Town (500 km) and Port Elizabeth (280 km)
Intercity Coach Companies offer daily services to the Garden Route and Knysna from all major cities in South Africa.
Group and Individual tours can be booked through private tour operators.
Distance from Knysna
Due to its central location in the heart of the Garden Route Knysna offers the ideal base for exploring the surrounding area with day trips.
- Mossel Bay - Distance 120 km, approx. 90 minutes by car
Attractions: Diaz Museum, White Shark Diving, Cape St. Blaize Hiking Trail
- George - Distance 65 km, approx. 60 minutes by car
Attractions: Outeniqua Transport Museum
- Oudtshoorn - Distance 120 km, approx. 90 minutes by car
Attractions: Ostrich Farms, Cango Cave, Swartbergpass
- Wilderness - Distance 50 km, approx. 40 minutes by car
Attractions: unspoilt beaches, Wilderness Nationalpark
- Sedgefield - Distance 25 km, approx. 25 minutes by car
Attractions: Slow Town, Saturday Farmers Market and Craft Market, unspoilt beaches and lake area
- Plettenberg Bay - Distance 35 km, approx. 30 minutes by car
Attractions: coastal town, unspoilt beaches, Robberg Nature Reserve, hiking, canoeing, wildlife
- Nature Valley - Distance 60 km, approx. 45 minutes by car
Attractions: unspoilt beaches, Hiking Trails, Canoe Tours
- Tsitsikamma, Stormsriver Village - Distance 90 km, approx. 80 minutes by car
Attractions: Tsitsikamma Nationalpark